ftp/fetch can not connect to ftp sites.

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Wed Jan 19 19:39:54 PST 2005

I am running FreeBSD 5.3 Release p4, upgraded from 5.2.1.  Prior to 5.3
p4, I was able to use command line ftp and fetch to access ftp sites.
Since the upgrade I have not been able to.  I can not connect to
ftp.freebsd.org (or mirrors), ftp.x.org, etc.  Any port using an http
server works fine using portupgrade, but with about 30 ports to upgrade
its kind of annoying to manually fetch files :)

I do have ipfw setup and running.  It is possible that it is a config
issue with ipfw, but I am doubtful.  The kernel does not have inet6
(ip6) compiled in and occasionally I see the ftp client resolving ip6
addresses which I find odd.  It often does this resolving
ftp.freebsd.org which I think is hosted at ISC.  I've tried ipfw
disable firewall and kldunload'ing the ipfw extension in the kernel.  I
can connect to ftp sites using firefox in x11 and from Linux & windows
on the same box with the same ip defined.  My cable modem router has
this system setup as the dmz.  I looked at the fetch man page and it
has an environment variable (man 3 fetch)  FTP_PASSIVE_MODE.  I've
toggled this to yes and no in the environment with no effect.

Also, I happen to have ip_portrange_first and ip_portrange_last set in
/etc/rc.conf to 4000 and 8000 respectively.  The system has a custom
built kernel with SMP enabled as I have a dual xeon w/ htt disabled.

I am at a loss why this is not working.  Since I got the cable modem,
I've noticed that pasv mode connections are flaky and i usually have to
switch to port in windows ftp apps especially if the server on the
other end is behind a firewall.  I've tried toying with command line
flags to ftp also.  Sometimes -4 -A -a will get me into some ftp
servers command line.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  I'm no longer subscribed to
questions, so please CC me!   Thanks.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com