Enabling Dell Inspiron 1150 touch pad?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 19 14:36:29 PST 2005

I've just installed 5.3-RELEASE on an Inspiron 1150 (some of you will
have seen my questions about this machine a couple of weeks ago).  I
can't get the touch pad to work.  I've tried installing a -CURRENT (as
of yesterday) kernel, and there's no improvement.  The relevant parts
of the dmesg (from a verbose boot) appear to be:

  psmcpnp0: <PS/2 mouse port> at irq 12 on isa0
  psm0: current command byte:0065
  psm0: the aux port is not functioning (-1).

The complete dmesg is at http://www.lemis.com/grog/dmesg.

Before I go digging, has anybody else seen something like this?  Any
ideas where to look?

Greg