Tab to Auto-Complete + ....

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Jan 19 10:03:50 PST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 15:22, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:32:41PM +0000, RW wrote:

> > It's recommended that you stick to shells  in /bin for root, and tcsh is
> > the best of these. For non-root account you have more choice, bash and
> > ksh are popular.
>
> This is true enough.  If you really want to use a different shell, then
> you could probably write a conditional test to go in the default shell's
> startup files.  For example, to run bash, put a conditional test in
> .cshrc to check that bash can be invoked without errors.  If so, exec()
> it.  If not, then just continue with csh.  Voila.  You have a bash shell,
> without having to change root's default shell.  I am afraid I can't help
> with the syntax, as I don't use csh.

I don't really know whether that's safe. There was a long discussion about
this recently and it was not about root being left shellless if /usr doesn't
mount (in single user mode the default is sh anyway). There was a specific
problem in the ports list that was tracked down to the someone not using a
shell in /bin (and copying another shell to /bin is just as bad, unless it's
statically linked).   I didn't follow it in any detail - I decided it was
just better to stick to tcsh for root.