Tab to Auto-Complete + ....

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Wed Jan 19 07:22:54 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:32:41PM +0000, RW wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 12:10, Warren wrote:
> > I changed the shell type using:  chsh -s /bin/csh
>
> I think you want /bin/tcsh/ which is the enhanced version of csh. Incidently I
It's the same thing:

--->$ ls -i /bin/csh /bin/tcsh
24836 /bin/csh*         24836 /bin/tcsh*

> think tcsh is the default for root, not csh, which is probably why
> auto-completion works for you in root.

root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh

File completion works because `set filec' is set in /.cshrc

> It's recommended that you stick to shells  in /bin for root, and tcsh is the
> best of these. For non-root account you have more choice, bash and ksh are
> popular.

This is true enough.  If you really want to use a different shell, then
you could probably write a conditional test to go in the default shell's
startup files.  For example, to run bash, put a conditional test in
.cshrc to check that bash can be invoked without errors.  If so, exec()
it.  If not, then just continue with csh.  Voila.  You have a bash shell,
without having to change root's default shell.  I am afraid I can't help
with the syntax, as I don't use csh.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \