Installing apache13-modssl from packages: how to deal with apache13 deps?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 09:00:11 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:41:24AM -0500, Kyle Jensen wrote:

> However, (I'm a noob to packages, sorry for the upcoming
> question) apache13-modssl conflicts with apache13 and
> anything that depends on apache13 will complain about
> apache13-modssl.
>
> I worked around this via the '-rf' flag to pkg_add.  Is there
> a better solution?

Yes: install from ports.

If you want to use apache13-modssl instead of apache13, you will need
to put:

    APACHE_PORT=	www/apache13-modssl

into /etc/make.conf.  All apache-based ports pretty much respect that.
Then delete and re-install apache and any apache modules you've
already got installed -- by using the ports to compile from source.

Note that you /cannot/ use the pre-compiled apache module packages
from the FTP sites with apache13-modssl, even if you force the
install.  The packages default to depending on the apache13 port and
are linked against the API provided by that port when they are built.
Unfortunately apache13-modssl incorporates a bunch of patches to use
what is called the 'EAPI' (extended API) -- different to plain
apache13.  Which means that you have to compile any other apache
modules you want to use yourself.  ie. don't use 'pkg_add', use the
ports.

	   Cheers,

	   Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd