phpMyAdmin installation troubles.[RE-POST]

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 05:24:50 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:56:42AM +0100, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> On Jan 14 at 16:17, Eric F Crist previously said:
>
> > I'm trying to install phpmyadmin from ports.  I keep getting an error about
> > PDF-Lite-6.0.0p1.tar.gz.  The only files available  now are 6.0.1.  I've done
> > a cvsup, but to no avail.
>
> Apologies for a re-post but this is fairly important, I think.
>
> On behalf of Eric and myself - since within a 24 hour period we both
> encountered precisely the same issue:
>
> Has anyone else experienced this, and/or is there a known workaround?

This is one of two things.  Either it's a symptom of your ports tree
not being up to date.  Maybe that's because the PDF-Lite developers
have released a new version and for whatever reason, deleted the old
one from their servers, and the ports tree simply hasn't caught up
with the change yet. Maybe it's because you haven't been cvsup'ing the
ports tree successfully, or maybe it's because the ports tree and the
INDEX are out of synch.

The other possibility is that you are trying to update a port, and
you've got an up-to-date INDEX but that you haven't upgraded the
dependencies first.

The port version is currently at 6.0.1 -- but according to
http://www.freshports.org/print/pdflib that update happened on 11th
December 2004.  As there hasn't been a month's worth of angry messages
demanding "why doesn't this work?", it would seem that the problem is
something you're doing wrong when updating.

Note that it is not actually possible for one port to depend
arbitrarily on a specific version of another one: in the cases where
this is necessary, the usual practice is to create a whole separate
port for the appropriate version of the dependency software.  That
isn't the case here.  databases/phpMyAdmin depends on
print/pecl-pdflib, which in turn depends on print/pdflib -- any of
which ports can and will be updated as newer versions become
available.

The assumption and the only way ports are tested when updates are
committed is that everything the port depends on is fully up to date
with respect to the ports tree.  That's why tools like portupgrade
were developed initially: to make it easy to update systematically,
updating the dependency ports before the dependent ports.

	 Cheers,

	 Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd