Configuring X

Walker, Michael Michael.Walker2 at capita.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 05:07:34 PST 2005

Hi All,

I am having a real problem setting up X under FreeBSD 5.3 on a Acer
Travelmate 280 laptop.
The laptop uses the Intel onboard i810 video controller, I know Xorg has
issues with this controller from past experience, so I added the necessary
line to my /etc/make.conf and proceeded to build XFree86-4. (My ports tree
is updated as of yesterday afternoon)

However I can't seem to find a useable mode, when I try to configure X using
"xf86cfg -textmode" I select the appropriate values, and run the test it
specifies, the test works great, I get a plain screen with nothing on it,
and the mouse (touchpad in this case) is working perfectly, but the
resolution is low, it looks less than 800x600 to be honest.
If I try to "startx" at any depth setting the screen just goes black and
locks up, I cant return to the console, and ctrl+alt+del does not restart X.
I have to turn the machine off and back on manually, which results in the
boot up sequence complaining about things not being correctly unmounted.

I have used XFree86 on this laptop before, however that was using FreeBSD
5.2.1 and it worked fine. And it also works fine on my desktop machine (that
to has a Intel i810 controller)
Does anyone have any ideas where in my setup I am going wrong, or have a
working XF86Config file for their Intel video controller.

Regards

Mick Walker
NAAFI Finance International

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.