freebsd IT mailing list or newsgroup?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Jan 15 10:11:26 PST 2005

Jim Durham wrote:
> I am the sys admin for a company of about 500 people and I am running
> Sendmail/Procmail/Spamassassin, Samba, Apache/PHP/MySql on FreeBSD..about 8
> servers in 3 offices across the US and soon to be more.

OK.

> Freebsd-questions is wonderful and I find a lot of answers there, but the
> signal-to-noise is low when you are just looking for IT-oriented information
> regarding FreeBSD. Especially regarding systems implemented for an office/LAN
> environment.
>
> I was wondering if there is any mailing list or newsgroup devoted to IT on
> FreeBSD? Google is not returning any hits on this, nor the listing on
> freebsd.org.

Your question parses, but it is not clear what specific thing you have in mind
that would seperate an IT-oriented list from a non-IT oriented list.  Can you
either give an example question or two, or can you say why freebsd-questions
is *not* IT-oriented?

Or does your question mean you looking for a list whose members are mostly
sysadmins and network managers, rather than end-users?  FreeBSD doesn't really
make much distinction between an end-user and a sysadmin [1], but you might
find freebsd-stable or freebsd-isp to come closer to what you are looking for.

--
-Chuck

[1]: Which can be benefit sometimes, or it can be a problem, especially for
novice users, but that's another topic.