bimap instead of public ip and servers

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Sat Jan 15 08:25:10 PST 2005

Hi,

--On Saturday, January 15, 2005 10:40 AM -0500 Lowell Gilbert
<freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote in part, to
freebsd at beke.info about his question:

> freebsd <freebsd at beke.info> writes:

>> Now i'm using DSL with static ip address and on my home FreeBSD server
>> there is group of servers serving my family and friends. Servers are
>> qmail, djbdns and apache.

okay.

>> I'm doing dns for my domain, mail server and http is also under my full
>> control.

okay

>> Instead of public static ip i'll have only bimap. Provider don't want to
>> route my public address into his LAN, because he don't want to waste
>> additional public ip's. Now i have a problem.

>> I'm not sure, if it will be possible to run DNS server, mail server and
>> web server in this enviroment. Just now i found, that qmail first checks
>> if his ip is resolved MX record for domain it's serving and refuses to
>> start, if it's not. And i'm bimapped, so it's not ;-).

qmail does not... it checks for any valid MX record for a domain. You have
to publish your MX records for your domain publicly using tinydns, part of
the djbdns package, or some other DNS service. You will never receive mail,
or get hits on Apache if you do not have published you DNS records somehow.
There are some free services that will allow you to sign on and they will
update your IP addresses on their DNS if they are dynamic.

> I don't know anything about qmail particularly, but if you're running
> your own DNS, you should be able to report anything you want to the
> DNS queries of your own mail daemon...

exactly...

--
Gary