[CLARIFICATION] portupgrade -a

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sat Jan 15 06:50:32 PST 2005

Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> recently I did update my package tree using the
> portupgrade command. I was allways in doubt whether
> my ports will be build with the same WITH_FOO=yes
> options during an update, as I did built them
> manually before.
>
> After a successfull update of the Gimp, I did
> notice that the Gimp wasn't built with the ...
>
>  WITH_PYTHON=yes
>
> ... option. How can I ensure that each of the
> WITH_XYZ knobs that I did specify during a manual
> installation of a port, will be recognized during
> an update as well?
>
> Should I, for example, specify those knobs in
> /etc/make.conf?

Unfortunately this is not supported by all ports, but some ports opens
an interactive menu for enabling/disabling build options and the
configuration is then stored in /var/db/ports for future builds. This
should replace setting options on the command line.

AFAIK the idea is that all ports should/will support this in future++.
Till then, the above problem will remain :-(

It's not documented in the porters handbook, but it doesn't seem too
difficult to add, but I'm not into the magic. If you have time, create
an update of the Makefile and submit to the maintainer. You may take a
look at eg. the mplayer-skins port to see how it works.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt