[CLARIFICATION] portupgrade -a

Mark Magiera mark at hyow.eu.org
Sat Jan 15 06:35:51 PST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:07:36 +0100
"Daniel S. Haischt" <me at daniel.stefan.haischt.name> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> recently I did update my package tree using the
> portupgrade command. I was allways in doubt whether
> my ports will be build with the same WITH_FOO=yes
> options during an update, as I did built them
> manually before.
>
> After a successfull update of the Gimp, I did
> notice that the Gimp wasn't built with the ...
>
>   WITH_PYTHON=yes
>
> ... option. How can I ensure that each of the
> WITH_XYZ knobs that I did specify during a manual
> installation of a port, will be recognized during
> an update as well?

Have a look at the MAKE_ARGS section of /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
For instance:
:  MAKE_ARGS = {
:    'graphics/gimp' => 'WITH_PYTHON=1',
:  }

Downside to this is it only works with portupgrade so if you ever have
to upgrade a port without portupgrade (it happens), then you might just
forget to specify the make args manually. Not a good thing to realise
half way through a upgrade of kde :(

> Should I, for example, specify those knobs in
> /etc/make.conf?

You could do I guess.
The (possible) downside to this approach is that since a lot of ports
share the same make args. All ports that have optional python support,
not just gimp, would be built with the python bits which may be
undesired. Python's just an example of course, some ports do have unique
make args but a lot of them are generally shared by a bunch of ports.
For instance I usally have WITHOUT_X11=yes in my make.conf on servers to
stop anything X related being built.

> freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards
> Daniel S. Haischt

-- Mark Magiera