make "make" quieter?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Jan 14 21:38:16 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 12:31:30AM -0500, Timothy Luoma wrote:

> Maybe I'm Googling the wrong terms, but I'm trying to find a way to
> make 'make' less chatty during 'make install clean' (at least the
> 'make' part, I'd like to see the install stuff if possible... if not,
> I'd rather not.)
>
> There seem to be a lot of merely information stuff that comes by.  I
> didn't see anything in make.conf that might be a quiet/verbose switch.

make -s should work, although I've not tried it with ports.

> So far I've just been doing this:
>
> 	(make install clean  2>&1) > install.log
> The only problem is that it won't work with 'sudo' (can't use ">" with
> sudo) so I have to login as root.

You surely can use '>' with sudo.  Perhaps you're not quoting the
command properly, so you're actually redirecting the sudo output to a
file to which the non-superuser does not have write access?

sudo sh -c "ls > /foo" works as expected
sudo ls > /tmp/foo works too, since /tmp is writable.

Kris