make "make" quieter?

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Jan 14 21:32:04 PST 2005

Maybe I'm Googling the wrong terms, but I'm trying to find a way to
make 'make' less chatty during 'make install clean' (at least the
'make' part, I'd like to see the install stuff if possible... if not,
I'd rather not.)

There seem to be a lot of merely information stuff that comes by.  I
didn't see anything in make.conf that might be a quiet/verbose switch.

So far I've just been doing this:

	(make install clean  2>&1) > install.log

The only problem is that it won't work with 'sudo' (can't use ">" with
sudo) so I have to login as root.

TjL