this IMAP stuff is kicking my @$$...

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Fri Jan 14 18:18:44 PST 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Eric F Crist wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> What I need is a slightly different setup for my users.  As I
>> mentioned in an earlier email, I want to install an IMAP server.
>> From what I've gleaned from various sources, I need to change from
>> mbox format to maildir.  Is this correct?
>
> No, there exist IMAP servers which work just fine with the classic
> mbox format.  Take a look at /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw in particular.
>
>> Also, I've come to the understanding that IMAP uses a totally
>> different
>> internal MTA, and thus a different user database?
>
> Many IMAP servers support external databases for holding users instead
> of, or in addition to, the standard Unix user accounts.  Some use SASL
> (Cyrus), some use database access via MySQL or some such (Dovecot,
> Courier, others?).
>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction?  I've kinda got
>> courier-imap installed from ports, but I can't log in.  First off,
>> how can I configure courier-imap to use the system accounts?  If I
>> can get this, I can probably work through the SSL/TLS for IMAP,
>> amongst other things.
>
> If you're having configuration issues with Courier, drop back ten
> yards and punt by trying the UW IMAP server.  It has zero runtime
> configuration options, so it basicly can't be misconfigured.  (Well,
> compile-time options can affect things, but the port will do the right
> thing for FreeBSD.)
>
> On the positive side, UW IMAP was written by Mark Crispin, who was one
> of the authors of the IMAP protocol.  On the minus side, the security
> history of the UW-IMAP software and the associated MUA pine is
> somewhat grim-- perhaps best compared to the security woes of
> sendmail.
>
> --
> -Chuck

Here's my final question: SquirrelMail config.  I've got egroupware
working flawlessly with IMAP-UW.  I use my standard unix user/pass for
mail retrieval.  In SquirrelMail, I get an invalid user/pass error?
What am I missing?

Thanks.
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson