Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Fri Jan 14 04:05:21 PST 2005

Emon wrote:
> But now some of the packages were complaining that an older
> version is installed & I had no idea how to upgrade these
> packages.
>
> So in my blind rage I did "pkg_add -vf" on all packages
> including mc.
>
> Now mc works but I cannot uninstall it or any of the packages. I
> will show you an example.
>

> # pkg_add mc-4.6.0_13.tgz
> pkg_add: package 'mc-4.6.0_13' or its older version already
> installed
> # pkg_delete mc-4.6.0_13.tgz
> pkg_delete: no such package 'mc-4.6.0_13.tgz' installed
> #
>
> Now how on earth is that possible?? First it says "older version
> already installed" & than it says "no such package
> 'mc-4.6.0_13.tgz' installed".

Yeah, maybe it is not completely clear. When you use pkg_add you give it
a tgz file containing the package. When you want to delete it, you must
give the package name, usually the same but without the tgz extension.

Some tricks: It is often helpfull to search for what version of a
package is installed when you get that kind of error:

# pkg_info -x mc

the -x is regular expresion, so all packages containing mc will match,
in this case mc-4 is probably better. You can also use pkg_delete with
-x option, but be carefull!

When using packages, make sure you download packages for the same
release, this way you should not get such errors as "older version
installed".

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org