Setting up USB Printer???

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Thu Jan 13 17:19:31 PST 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 07:04 pm, E. J. Cerejo wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 and I have a USB HP printer (Deskjet 842C)
> and I can't find any tutorials and the hand book is not much help
> either unless I'm missing something on how to setup any USB printer
> under FreeBSD.  Can anyone help me with this?

The first step is to see if your system recognizes the usb printer.  If
you review the output of dmesg, you should find the printer associated
with a ulpt device.  If it's associated with a ugen device, then the
system doesn't recognize it.

If the printer is recognized, the next step is to configure it.  The
easiest ways include installing a printer program such as cups or
apsfilter.  You can find these apps in the ports; and you can find lots
of documentation via google.

Information regarding your specific printer can be found at:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_842C

If your printer is not identified correctly when connected via usb, you
can purchase an external print server with usb ports and use apsfilter
or cups to configure the printer over the internet.

Good luck,

Andrew Gould