Trackball, extra buttons, and X - I've lost something

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Thu Jan 13 16:08:07 PST 2005

Ok, I've finally broken down and bought myself one of those fancy
Microsoft thumbball thingys.  I got tired of tracking my mouse around
on a 5"X5" square, which is exactly the amount of free space on my
desk right now.

Anyway, since Microsoft is a pretty good accessory company I figured
I'd check their thumbball out.  (I didn't say they were a good
software company)

I got the following immediately after plugging in:
Jan 13 17:07:31 keyslapper kernel: ums0: Microsoft Microsoft Trackball Optical®, rev 1.10/1.21, addr 2, iclass 3/1
Jan 13 17:07:31 keyslapper kernel: ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir.

The only problem is that it has 5 buttons including the button wheel.

Give a man a hammer, he'll want to use it right?

Well, now I've got these two new hammers, and I can't get them
working quite right.

I've got the following in xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/ums0"
        Option      "Buttons"      "7"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

This is what I used to have:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "Buttons"      "5"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

And I've restarted Xorg, and xev shows the proper button presses for
the left (button 1) and right (button 3) buttons, wheel press (button
2), and weel scrolls (buttons 4 and 5).  It also shows events for the
side buttons, 6 and 7.

I have the comand `xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7"` in my
~/.xinitrc to set the buttons up, but I'm still getting odd behavior
when I roll the wheel.

So what's this strange behavior?  Well, every time I roll the mouse
wheel, I get the Fvwm Builtin menu.  I tried setting a Nop action in
the Fvwm mouse events config for buttons 6 and 7, but that breaks
scrolling with the wheel.  Now I can't seem to get scrolling back.  So
I need to figure out how to stop the menu popup without breaking the
scrolling.  Or at least get the scrolling back.

I've tried this with and without moused, but no change.  Naturally,
I change the Device above to /dev/sysmouse, and moused polls from
/dev/usm0.

I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE, Xorg 6.7.1 (built from ports) and
Fvwm 2.4.19 built with imlib support from the ports.

I think that's all.

Any ideas?

TIA
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

QOTD:
  "My life is a soap opera, but who gets the movie rights?"