Memory Question

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Thu Jan 13 15:00:33 PST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 2:01 PM, Colin J. Raven wrote:

> I'm wondering seriously about this top output:
>
> (2.6 GhZ Celeron 1GB RAM)
>
> Mem: 52M Active, 316M Inact, 134M Wired, 111M Buf, 494M Free
> Swap: 2023M Total, 2023M Free
>
> This does add up to the 1GB of memory that my 5.3-RELEASE box has,
> that's not my question.
> I always understood in FreeBSD that "Free Memory is wasted memory"
>
> I compared this to the 5.3-RELEASE box of a colleague.
>
> AMD Athlon (1800-something-or-other) also 1GB RAM
>
> Mem: 467M Active, 224M Inact, 201M Wired, 33M Cache, 111M Buf, 71M Free
> Swap: 4096M Total, 1672K Used, 4094M Free
>
> Other than the fact that swap doesn't add up (or doesn't seem to) the
> box of my colleague seems to have a more "sensible" (classic) amount of
> free memory.
>
> Is there something I can do in order to "optimize" - which in this case
> paradoxically would seem to mean "reduce" the amount of free memory?
>
> Regards & TIA,
> -Colin

Colin,

If you want to be made fun of, this is the type of question that will
push you in that direction (references 'Thanks You!' thread). ;)  Your
colleague is probably running more applications/services than you,
which is why he has less available memory.  To use up some of that
memory, simply start up some more applications.

:) have a nice day!
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson