cross-building ports

Jonathan Dama jd at caltech.edu
Thu Jan 13 13:28:19 PST 2005

Thanks for clarifying that I wasn't just missing the
obvious.  I suppose that's not surprising given all the
complicated things some builds do to configure themselves
based on testing the environment.

What about the "simple" case of building ia32 on an amd64
host?  (Assuming WITH_LIB32 has been set in make.conf)

I have the impression that amd64 has been setup with an
eye toward running a pure amd64 setup, but one of the
principle benefits of amd64 is it's support for i386
binaries and libraries...

It would be nice (and probably easier on many ports) if the
system was geared to have more ia32 centric userland--which
I might add is the tradition for mang 64-bit OSs.  Having my
64-bit ls is great and all, but really unnecessary +
wasteful.

Are these sorts of changes in the pipeline or?

-Paul