Trouble starting MySQL

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Jan 12 03:36:21 PST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 5:22 AM, Colin J. Raven wrote:

> On Jan 12 at 05:09, Eric F Crist launched this into the bitstream:

>>> Yes, it's in there, as per your instructions :-)
>>
>> That is *actually* supposed to be mysqld_enable="YES".  You're
>> missing the
>> 'd'.  If you read the script located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, you'll
>> see a
>> comment of the exact line to add to your rc.conf file.
>>
>> To start a server without rebooting the system, simply type the
>> following
>> (this example is for mysqld):
>>
>> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld.sh start
>>

> Umm, this is snipped directly from the script:
>
> # Add the following line to /etc/rc.conf to enable mysql:
> # mysql_enable (bool):          Set to "NO" by default.
> #                               Set it to "YES" to enable MySQL.
>
> Is that wrong? *Should* it be mysqld_enable-"YES" within the script? If
> so, that's a kind of major oversight on the mysql/freebsd teams' part
> no?
>
> I am in the company of gurus so I should really keep my n00b trap
> (mostly) shut - as is usually the case :)
>
> -Colin

I would check the /var/log/messages log file for anything related to
mysql, in this case.  There's a reason it won't start, and it'll be
indicated there.

My bad on the syntax.  After looking, I have a script called
mysql-server.sh that doesn't require an entry in rc.conf.  What version
of mysql are you using?  Was it installed from ports?  What version of
FreeBSD?

Thanks.
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson