Trouble starting MySQL

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Wed Jan 12 03:22:51 PST 2005

On Jan 12 at 05:09, Eric F Crist launched this into the bitstream:

>>> Did you added mysql_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf?
>>>

>> Yes, it's in there, as per your instructions :-)
>
> That is *actually* supposed to be mysqld_enable="YES".  You're missing the
> 'd'.  If you read the script located in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, you'll see a
> comment of the exact line to add to your rc.conf file.
>
> To start a server without rebooting the system, simply type the following
> (this example is for mysqld):
>
> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld.sh start

Umm, this is snipped directly from the script:

# Add the following line to /etc/rc.conf to enable mysql:
# mysql_enable (bool):          Set to "NO" by default.
#                               Set it to "YES" to enable MySQL.

Is that wrong? *Should* it be mysqld_enable-"YES" within the script? If
so, that's a kind of major oversight on the mysql/freebsd teams' part
no?

I am in the company of gurus so I should really keep my n00b trap
(mostly) shut - as is usually the case :)

-Colin