sendmail problem - Helo command rejected: Host not found

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue Jan 11 20:26:27 PST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 6:52 AM, Srot BULL wrote:

> I did edit the file /etc/mail/freebsd.mc and changed the line
> containing
> the SMART_HOST to
> define(`SMART_HOST', `me.point.ne.jp')
> and
> # cd /etc/mail/
> # make stop
> # make install
> # make start
>
> Everything went well...
> I now have a r40e.point.ne.jp.mc and the all..
> But, when I tried to send an Email to my yahoo.com account to test if
> it
> is working...
>
> Here is what came back to my InBox:
> The original message was received at Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:34:41 GMT
> from localhost [127.0.0.1]

> <srotbull at yahoo.com>
>     (reason: 554 <srotbull at yahoo.com>: Relay access denied)

> ... while talking to vc.point.ne.jp.:
> <<< 554 <srotbull at yahoo.com>: Relay access denied
> 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> <<< 554 Error: no valid recipients
>
> It seems that I was not allowed to relay my email so I tried the
> archives and then I tried reading the README file
> at /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README
> and found something about:
>
> Providing SMTP AUTH Data when sendmail acts as Client
>
> I read a little and did what I understood:
> 1) created a /etc/mail/authinfo file with the following
> AuthInfo:point.ne.jp "U:myusername" "I:myusername" "P:password"
> AuthInfo:me.point.ne.jp "U:myusername" "I:myusername" "P:password"
>
> Did a
> # cd /etc/mail/
> # make stop
> # make install
> # make start
> No problems but still I can not send Emails using sendmail...
>
> Any hints...Or am I going the wrong direction here and probably messed
> my configuration badly now...?

Try editing the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file and search for a line that
starts with LogLevel.  By default, IIRC, it's set to 9.  Change this to
25, and from /etc/mail type make restart. (Don't make/make install as
you're loglevel will be reset.

Try sending an email.  As soon as you're client is done, go to the
server and type:

# tail -n 50 /var/log/maillog

You should see some information regarding the authentication and if
there were any errors or not.

HTH
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson