USB CD-ROM installations.

John Wilson BSD-Mail at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 11 18:05:32 PST 2005

Hello folks.

I am currently looking into purchasing an external USB CD/DVD+/-RW unit for my
machine here at home.  However, before doing so, I do have a few questions
before plunking down the cash for this thing.

For starters, I don't know if this is an issue now, or ever really was an
issue to begin with, but I vaguely recall hearing about problems during
the installation of FreeBSD from a USB CD-ROM; something akin to the install
halting at some point and thus a faulure to install at all.  Unfortunately,
after google'ing about, I am unable to find anything in regard to this.  If
anyone could confirm successful USB CD-ROM installs, it would be most
appreciated.  Yes, my machines does support booting from USB devices.

Since the -STABLE EHCI, or USB2.0, support is not fully implemented yet, as I
understand it and in so far as supporting full speed operation, will this pose
any problems burning DVD +R or -R media?  I've never had a DVD burner before, so
I am somewhat new to this hardware.

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
John.