bash version?

Duane Winner dwinner-lists at att.net
Tue Jan 11 08:01:03 PST 2005

Hi all,

I use bash instead of the default csh shell that is part of FreeBSD world.

I am revising my in-house installation manual for FreeBSD 5.3, and it
just came my attention that there is (actually has been I guess) bash
version 3 available as a port.

But FreeBSD appears to want to use 2.05b as the default.

Does anybody know of any good reason why I should stick to 2.05b? I
would like to use the latest stable version, but I don't want to go to
version 3 if there are any issues that might bite me in the butt or if
it will disrupt any other FreeBSD convention/issue that I don't know about.

Looking at the the gnu bash site, I don't see any reason *not* to go to
version 3, but I tend to let any FreeBSD considerations trump others
when coming up with installation standards.

Thanks for any info,

cheers,
DW