netatalk, NFS, OS X and backup

Shane Ambler Shane at 007Marketing.com
Mon Jan 10 11:34:14 PST 2005

Personally I use a combination of applescript and cli.

With applescript you create a script that mounts the remote afp volume.

Eg in script editor
On run
   try
     mount volume "afp://server/sharepoint" as user name "name" with
password "crypt"
   on error
    --
   end try
End run

Personally I put the mount command inside the try block to prevent error
dialogs coming up - that is why the -- (a comment line) is after on error -
it tricks the script into doing nothing on error.

As you might guess this is plain text - for security when you save it you
can save as application and tick the run only box - this prevents the file
being opened in the script editor and read - you can open and run it but not
see the source.

This will mount the specific share point - it shows up in
/volumes/sharepoint - which can then be copied to/from

I then use the cli to compress/copy files - personally I use stuffit deluxe
for compression as the deluxe version includes the cli tools and handles
resource forks / meta data etc.

#! /bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/stuff -f sitx -n /pathto/backupfile /pathto/filestobackup

cp /pathto/backupfile /volumes/sharepoint/backupfile

Of course you put the date/numbers into the filename as you prefer.

One gotcha to look out for is if the sharepoint doesn't mount for whatever
reason the cp step will create a folder in /volumes and will copy locally
instead of to the server. There is also the option of using scp to get the
files to the server.

There is a cli - mount_afp - when I tried it some time ago I had some
problem(can't remember what now) so I used the applescript instead.

You then setup cron to run the applescript and the shell script when you
want.

With the applescript it is a gui app so in cron you need
/usr/bin/open /pathto/applescript.app
Remember the .app is not shown in the finder but is needed for the cli,
easy to miss.