NFS export of evolution

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Jan 10 01:01:34 PST 2005

Robert Marella wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am not sure where this problem should go so I am posting to
> -questions.
>
> I have a SOHO set up with several computers running a mix of FreeBSD 5.3
> Release and Stable. I have an NFS server set up so that data can be
> shared at all of the computers.
>
> I would like to have the ability to retrieve mail from any of the
> computers I happen to be logged into. I have tried various permutations
> of exporting /home, /home/reg-user, and /home/reg-user/.evolution and I
> always get the same error when trying to read mail.
>
> I am able to mount the directory(ies) on the client computers and am
> able to call up evolution and see the messages but when I try to read
> any message I get this error

> Error while Retrieving message 1292 (this number varies of course)
>
> Failed to get lock using fcntl(2): Operation not supported.
>
> I read the man page for fcntl but I didn't get any help out of it. It
> was way over my head.
>
> Here is the important bits from /etc/exports
>
> /home/reg-user/.evolution -alldirs notebook.my.local.lan
>
> I have also tried -maproot with out any luck. I would think this is
> possible but I guess I haven't set up the right conditions or options.
> Can anyone help me out?

The error appears to be with filelocking not mounting. Filelocking is a
problem on NFS as many independent systems might try to get write access
to the same file at the same time. Do you have:

rpc_lockd_enable="YES" # Run NFS rpc.lockd needed for client/server.
rpc_statd_enable="YES" # Run NFS rpc.statd needed for client/server.

in your rc.conf?

Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org