AGP not working on nForce3

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Sun Jan 9 11:16:15 PST 2005

On 01/09/05 07:59 PM, Mats Kristoffersen sat at the `puter and typed:
> Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> > On 01/09/05 06:45 PM, Mats Kristoffersen sat at the `puter and typed:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >                       ^
> > Setting this to 3 tells the driver to try the native AGP first.  I had
> > trouble with this, and had to compile the agp device out of my kernel
> > to get it to work right.  Notice below that I set NvAGP to 1.
>
> For some reason the sysctl var is set to 3 even though I use
> Option "NvAGP" "1"
> in xorg.conf. Setting it manually before starting X leaves it at 1, but
> that doesn't help.

Not sure that makes sense to me; maybe I'm forgetting something.

> > How did you compile the drivers?  My pkgtools.conf uses the following:
> >        'WITHOUT_LINUX=yes',
> >        'WITH_ACPI=yes',
> > This makes upgrades a little smoother.
>
> I've tried WITH_FREEBSD_AGP and the vanilla version. I want linux
> support enabled, since I play neverwinter nights now and then.

That may be why NvAGP overrides to "3".  Using "NvAGP" "1", but
compiling the drivers with WITH_FREEBSD_AGP should be mutually
exclusive.  One tells the driver to use the NVidia AGP, the other
tells it to use the native FreeBSD AGP.  Like I said, you need to pick
one.  The NVidia AGP is probably the better choice.  You mention below
that it's already removed from the kernel, but that doesn't make sense
if you're getting the agp0: console output.  I'm assuming the kernel
was rebuilt since that config was commented out, but is that config
the one that was used?

> > You might give that a try.  Just comment out the agp in your kernel,
> > don't delete it yet - just in case the nvidia agp doesn't like the
> > athlon for some reason.
>
> That line is commented out already. I've tried commenting it out and
> I've tried leaving it on, but there is no difference in behaviour.

Then you should definitely not be compiling the drivers with
WITH_FREEBSD_AGP.  Try recompiling without that config.  Linux support
is probably not a problem, so don't worry about that.

What do you get from the command kldstat?

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

bug, n: