I quit

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Jan 9 03:45:42 PST 2005

william gatlin wrote:
> I have spent at least two weeks of my free time downloading 5.3 and trying to get it to work.  After figuring out
> how to get an ISO image, windows couldn't do it because netscape insisted on modifying the file, I loaded it and
> got a lot of error code 1 messages that I never did figure out.  I changed the partitioning and allowed 1/2 a gig
> for the root directory and loaded it again.
>
> All seemed to go well untill I tryed to configure the X.org windowing system.  Nothing in /stand/sysinstall would
> do any configuration of X.  Went to the net and got instructions.  Finally got X to work and found vidtune.
>
> Kdm comes up with a log in screen which just leads to another log in screen.  ctrl-alt-backspace won't turn x off
> as it keeps comming back on it's own.  Nothing leads to a window manager other than the little one that comes with
> X.

I sounds like you have started X by setting xdm on in /etc/ttys, I would
recommend you not to do that first time you start up X but rather use
startx. To get the console, press crtl-alt-F1, X is normally on F9.

To understand a bit about how X works: When X starts your session, it
will look for the file .xinitrc in your home directory and execute the
programs listed, if you have no .xinitrc the default system file is
used: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Usually only your windows manager is listed. Once the last program in
.xinitrc exists, X terminates your session. If you started X by setting
xdm on in /etc/ttys, X gives you a new login promt, otherwise you will
return to the console.

So, it may not be X, but your window manager that is screwed, maybe you
have a core-dump file in your home directory - that would indicate it.

If you use startx instead and X crashes for whatever reason, you should
have some error output on the console you can post here on the list.

To see if it's your window manager, try a different one, I like fluxbox
because it's lightweight. gnome/kde are quite heavy.

Just try this before you give up on FreeBSD.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt