FreeBSD Sound not working

Joshua Lokken joshua.lokken at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 09:04:07 PST 2005

> Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:55:00 -0300 (ART)
> "E. J. Cerejo" wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I upgraded to FreeBSD 5.3 with a clean install and now I can't get the sound to work on my machine, I have Creative AudioPCI (ES1371, ES1373), this card under 4.x stable use to work fine with
> ^^^^^^
> > device sound
> > device "snd_emu10k1"
>
> That's not the driver for the es137x, you need
>
> device "snd_es137x"
>
>> Do I still need the device sound in the kernel file?

>From the FreeBSD Handbook, 7.2 Setting Up the Sound Card:

"The first thing to do is adding the generic audio driver sound(4)
 to the kernel, for that you will need to add the following line to
 the kernel configuration file:

   device sound

[snip]

 Then we have to add the support for our sound card."

Which is where 'device snd_es137x' comes in, so yes, you
do still need to add that line to your kernel conf _if_ you want
sound support built in to the kernel.  If not, you can add the
appropriate line to /boot/loader.conf to load the module at
boot time.

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate