netatalk, NFS, OS X and backup

Alan Curtis acurtis at ieee.org
Fri Jan 7 08:30:07 PST 2005

I need some advice about integrating my FreeBSD server with some Macs
running OS X.

I have a server running FreeBSD 5.3 with NFS and netatalk enabled, a
Powerbook G4 running OS X 10.3.7 and they are connected through a
wireless network. I used the Powerbook to administer the server using
ssh, which works well. I would also like to use the server to backup
files (for multiple users) from the Powerbook. I have played around
with both NFS and netatalk (afpd) and both seem to be working, in that
I can manually mount the shares on the Powerbook. I have got the NFS
share to automount on the Powerbook but not the afp share. I can copy
files to and from both the nfs and afp mounted shares, including
resource forks. I have played with various backup utilities including
rsync, psync and rdiff-backup with varying degrees of success.

Some observations/questions

1. netatalk afp seems consistently and significantly faster than nfs.
Is this to be expected or might I have a problem with nfs? If so how do
I diagnose and fix it?

2. I would prefer to use nfs, because I can automount it on the
Powerbook and run a cron (actually anacron) script to backup the
multiple users. I haven't yet worked out how (or if) I can do this with
afp (this is really a Mac question I know).

3. I would like to use a backup scheme which is automatic, invisible to
the user, yet configured in a way that the archive can be navigated,
and files appear in folders on the Mac finder in a consistent way (with
resource forks set up correctly).

All of this seems almost possible, yet I don't seem to have got it just
right yet. Has anyone one any insight they can spread or experiences
they can share of a similar set up?

Alan