how do I permit ordinary users to mound SCSI devices ?

Kevin Smith smithcam at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 6 22:43:49 PST 2005

Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>> How do I permit ordinary users to mound SCSI devices ?
>>
>> As suggested in the FAQ, section 9, I am able to allow members of
>> operator group mount the cdrom by setting sysctl -w vfs.usrmount=1
>> This does not appear to work with SCSI devices.  (ex: /dev/da0s2)
>> I get the error:
>>  > mount -t msdos /dev/da0s2 ~/ipod
>> msdosfs: /dev/da0s2: Permission denied
>

> the last time I was bitten by that issue, the mount point had to be
> owned by the user (group write access apparently isn't enough).
> that's a bit of a problem with things like gui mounters and I hope
> that that behaviour will be changed sometime in the future.  at least
> I can't see any security problems with a user being able to mount over
> a mountpoint where he only has group write access.

I thought that was the case, but I created a directory in the user's
home directory (as that user) and used it as the mount point and it
still does not permit it  (see example above: ~/ipod is owned by the
user).  It works with the cdrom device though- i can mount that as a
regular operator user.

-K