how do I permit ordinary users to mound SCSI devices ?

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jan 6 21:55:39 PST 2005

Kevin Smith wrote:

> How do I permit ordinary users to mound SCSI devices ?
>
> As suggested in the FAQ, section 9, I am able to allow members of
> operator group mount the cdrom by setting sysctl -w vfs.usrmount=1
> This does not appear to work with SCSI devices.  (ex: /dev/da0s2)
> I get the error:
>  > mount -t msdos /dev/da0s2 ~/ipod
> msdosfs: /dev/da0s2: Permission denied

the last time I was bitten by that issue, the mount point had to be
owned by the user (group write access apparently isn't enough).  that's
a bit of a problem with things like gui mounters and I hope that that
behaviour will be changed sometime in the future.  at least I can't see
any security problems with a user being able to mount over a mountpoint
where he only has group write access.

mkb.