FreeBSD on Sun SPARC 20

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jan 6 21:59:06 PST 2005

madden at cms-stl.com wrote:

> I've got a Sun SPARC 20 collecting dust, and I was wondering if any
> version of FreeBSD would run on my Sun SPARC 20? From what I can gather
> FreeBSD only works on UltraSPARC.

Maybe not FreeBSD but both NetBSD and Solaris work very well on the
Sparc 20, and they're available for free.  (Well, actually if your SS20
has more than one CPU, you'd have to get a commercial license for
Solaris 9, and shouldn't use the free license, since that's only for one
CPU but I mean, it's hardly stealing candies from little children, is
it... and reportedly Solaris 10 will be "open source" anyways, so what.)

mkb.