question

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Thu Jan 6 09:32:06 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 19:11 +0200, Ludwig Mey wrote:
[top post moved down so the mail reads coherently. CC'd to list in case
anyone else has this problem in the future and tries googling for it]
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:27:23 +0000, Peter Risdon
> <peter at circlesquared.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 16:13 +0200, Ludwig Mey wrote:
> > > hi
> > >
> > > my problem is as follows.
> > >
> > > i am trying to connect a  Prolific Technology USB to serial connecter.
> > >  but i am unable to get anything right after that.  i have tried using
> > > minicom and pointing it to where the system is telling the device is.
> > > but no luck. any help will be appreciated.
> > >
> > > i am running FreeBSD 5.3
> > >
> > > and the following information is given to me by the system when the
> > > device is plugged in.
> > >
> > > Jan  6 16:07:26 gogga kernel: ugen0: Prolific Technology Inc.
> > > USB-Serial Controller, rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
> >
> > I think you might need to compile a custom kernel with the added line:
> >
> > device  ucom
> >
> > Then you should see something like:
> >
> > Jan  6 14:26:17 lorna kernel: ucom0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial
> > Controller, rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
> >
> > when you plug it in.
>
> thx so far, but it didn't work.  i added "device ucom" to my
> kernel,and recompiled but i still get the same response when attaching
> the device
>

> Jan  6 19:07:36 gogga kernel: ugen0: Prolific Technology Inc.
> USB-Serial Controller, rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
>
> anything else that i could possibly try?

Well, I've got the exact same cable and it's detected properly on my
machine with this device in the kernel, as you can see from my earlier
post. Here's the full usb section from my kernel configuration file:

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners
device          ucom
device          uplcom

I don't think you ought to require uplcom, but maybe it's worth a try.

I have no idea how experienced a user you are, so apologise if this is
trying to teach you to suck eggs: are you sure you compiled your custom
kernel properly? I'm surprised the device isn't picked up correctly if
the ucom device is present in your kernel.

Peter.