SSH & 5.3 Problems

Duane Winner dwinner-lists at att.net
Thu Jan 6 08:41:21 PST 2005

Brian McCann wrote:

>Hi all.  On 5.3 and 5.3 RC1 I have this problem where when I ssh in
>using either a FreeBSD 4.3 box or an older PuTTY client (0.52 is one I
>experienced it with), I cannot connect.  On PuTTY, it asks for a
>username, then just exits. On FreeBSD when I put the ssh client into
>verbose, it appears it can't agree on an auth method, even though both
>are set to accept and attempt keyboard-interactive.  Upgrading to a
>newer PuTTY fixed the problem, and it seams to work from FreeBSD 4.10.
> I've seen some posts from people that upgrading their PuTTY fixed the
>problem, but I'm curious if anyone knows the cause of the problem, and
>possibly how to fix it, on the server end.
>
>Thanks,
>--Brian McCann

For what it's worth, we happen to have some licensed copies of the
commercial SSH client (from SSH Communications Inc.) for our Windows
boxes. I just tried to reproduce this problem. To ssh into *nix
workstations, I've always just used password authentication.

On the commercial windows client, after you specify the hostname and
username, you pick from a drop-down list Authentication Method:
-Password
-Public Key
-SecureID
-PAM
-Keyboard Interactive

I have ALWAYS just used password to get into my Linux and FreeBSD
workstations running sshd. But password no longer works. I started to
get nervous, but relaxed when I found out that if I selected "Keyboard
Interactive", I could get in.

I don't understand what exacactly "keyboard interactive" is and how it
differs from "password", but it seems to work.

I haven't used PuTTY in a few years, and I don't know if this is
something that can be tweaked or not.

Cheers,
DW