MySQL

Joshua Lokken joshua.lokken at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 16:19:33 PST 2005

From: Joshua Lokken <joshua.lokken at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:16:40 -0600
Subject: Re: MySQL
To: Leon <leonmk at optonline.net>
Cc: Questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:03:08 -0500, Leon <leonmk at optonline.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 5.3 version of FreeBSD.
> I want to install MySQL
>
> Can you please tell me what version of MySQL I should install?
> And where can I get installation and configuration instruction?
>
> Thanks,
> Leon.

While I certainly don't mind being mailed off-list, I'll assume
that you intended to submit this question to the FreeBSD
questions mailing list.  I have forwarded it appropriately.

I would recommend you use the ports collection to install
MySQL and any other software that you need.  In order to
ensure that you have the most recent ports collection,
you should learn to use cvsup.  There is excellent information
on this in the Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

I believe that versions 3.23, 4.0, 4.1, and even a version of 5
of MySQL exist in the ports collection.  I have experience only
with 4.1, so I can't attest to which you _should_ use, also I don't
know what your intended use is, but 4.1 should be just fine.

Once you have the ports collection up-to-date, you can
install MySQL by doing:

# cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql41-server
# make install clean

HTH,

--
Joshua Lokken