Supermicro Hardware and FreeBSD

Tm4528 at aol.com Tm4528 at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 10:06:46 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/5/05 12:23:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, chris at sigd.net
writes:
>> Everyone tell me to use LINUX. Now I know why. You support
>> bad slow version and not good one. Very stupid people.
>>

>FreeBSD is more organized and managed more professionally compared to many
>of the Linux distrubtion organizations.  That is why anyone will tell you to
use >anything except $THAT.

>The FreeBSD development seems slow compared to Linux development for
>numberous of reasons.  I cannot and will not name them except for one.  We go >for
quality...not bleeding edge (I did that first!..but it's broken after few days).

>Everyone in the world is stupid...no perfect smart human exists. :)
>
>Chris
Do you really believe that Chris? Its not about being "slow". Its about
everyone being
focused on the "new" version while ignoring needs for the only version
suitable for
production. It would be fine that 5.x is taking way longer than expected, and
that
the performance is well below what was promised, if 4.x was being supported as
the mainstream version.

The truth is that if someone in the linux camp needed a MB they'd call
supermicro
or Dell and get one the next day. Apparently FreeBSD doesn't have that kind
of pull.
If the FreeBSD foundation doesnt have $250. to support a mainstream chipset
used
by the world's 2  largest manufacturers, or you don't have a corporate
sponsor with a
single Dell machine to loan for a few days, then it says something about your
"organization", or lack thereof.

Linux also doesnt do a major release until its arguably better than the
previous
version. Another lesson that the FreeBSD camp could well learn from. You do
your tweaking in the confines of your labs, not at the expense of your
customer
base..

"Stupid" is a choice. Its easily correctable if you ever get out of your state
of denial and stop acting like a bunch of overaged college kids.Come to tems
with the fact the 5.x is a year away and don't leave the base thats gotten
you
to where you are in the lurch.

TM