Problem with an USB-RS232 Prolific adapter

Stefano Riva sriva at gufi.org
Wed Jan 5 08:17:39 PST 2005

  Hi. I'm trying to use an Hamlet XURS232 (Prolific PL-2303) USB-RS232
adapter with 5.3-RELEASE-p3. Uplcom/ucom are compiled in the kernel and the
host correctly sees the dongle booting up. No problem with usbdevs -v. I
get /dev/ucom0.

  HOST A (ucom0) <<USB>> XURS232 <<RS232>> HOST B (sio0)

  By adding "ucom0:dv=/dev/ucom0:br#9600:pa=none:" to /etc/remote on A,
then running tip on both hosts, I can transfer data from B to A but not the
other way. I tried using other software like minicom, playing with stty and
so on.. same behaviour: B doesn't receives/shows what A tries to send. The
link doesn't work even if I connect B to a DCE like a modem.
  Cable is OK because everything works like a charm if I simply use sio0
instead of ucom0 on A. Adapter is OK because it works well connected to a
Windows host.

  Am i missing something?

P.S. Yes, I know that things changed in CURRENT (for example "standard"
tty/cua devices instead of ucom).. no, I can't try CURRENT.. ;)

--

  Stefano Riva (sriva at gufi.org)
  Gruppo Utenti FreeBSD Italia - http://www.gufi.org/