FreeBSD 5.3 - Write failure on transfer

lists lists at webzone.net.au
Mon Jan 3 18:28:15 PST 2005

It looks like it is having a problem relating to the mounting the
drives. When I rerun the FreeBSD5.3 install a second time - it lists the
drives from the first install but they are missing the mount locations.

Any suggestions on a work around?

Lino

lists wrote:

> Loren M. Lang wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 03:53:33PM +1030, Lino Fusco wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a newbie to this list and I hope I am posting to the correct
>>> list - apologies if I am off target.
>>>
>>> I am installing FreeBSD 5.3 on a  hp netserver LC2000r. The box is a
>>> dual processor P3 with three scsi2 drives running in a raid1
>>> configuration with one hot spare.
>>>
>>> We have six of these boxes. Three of them are running FreeBSD 4.8 or
>>> 4.9 without a hitch.
>>>
>>> I decided to install 5.3 from CD on a fourth box and I am having a
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I go through the install process. When it goes to write the file
>>> structure to the drives it does this in a around 1 second - this
>>> seems very fast. Then it starts copying from the CD and I quickly
>>> get the following error:
>>>
>>> "Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1425408 bytes)"
>>>
>>> I click ok and the next error message is:
>>>
>>> "unable to transfer the base distribution from acd0, do you want to
>>> try to retrieve it again?".
>>>
>>> So this has started me troubleshooting the possible causes of the
>>> problem:
>>>
>>> 1) First stop was to suspect the freebsd iso I had burnt was
>>> suspect. So I re burnt the cd  and the problem persisted. I then
>>> suspected the ISO I had downloaded was corrupted. So I downloaded it
>>> again, burnt the cd but the problem still persisted.
>>>
>>> 2) I then suspected the second copy could have come from a cache and
>>> therefore may have the same problem as the first copy - so I checked
>>> the md5 signature but it lines up with the original from freebsd.org
>>>
>>> 3) I suspected the CD Rom drive - so I swapped it with one of our
>>> other Netserver boxes - problem still persisted.
>>>
>>> 4)I suspected a drive formatting problem - so I went back into the
>>> SCSI software, redid the raid drives and reformatted them - problem
>>> still persisted.
>>>
>>> 5) I suspected another hardware problem - so I pulled out FreeBSD
>>> 4.9 to see if that would install - and it did install without any
>>> errors. That sort of discounts there being any hardware problems. It
>>> points to something specific to freebsd 5.3.
>>>
>>> So this is where I have got to - FreeBSD 4.9 will install without
>>> errors but 5.3 will not install.
>>>
>>> I suspect the problem has to do with the initial setting up of the
>>> file structure - 5.3 is doing this in about one second whereas 4.9
>>> takes closer to a minute to do this.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or suggestion?
>>>

>> I believe FreeBSD 5.3 does support using UFS 1 in the install, just
>> check the option in the disklabel program, but if the partitioning also
>> fails then that may not be the problem.
>>

>>> Lino
>>> Webzone