Compiling FreeBSD 4.10 kernel with gcc native and gcc-3.4.3

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Jan 1 21:29:42 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:01:45PM +0000, Edward B. Dreger wrote:

> > 2:) Why FreBSD 4.10 is using such an old compiler?
>
> Nobody has upgraded it.  What's there is stable and works; nobody has
> volunteered to replace it, test, and assure that all is correct.
> Efforts are going toward RELENG_5 and CURRENT.  ]Note that I do not
> speak in any official capacity, and am open to corrections, but would be
> surprised if anyone disagreed.

Actually, all the responses I've seen so far have been incorrect, or
haven't mentioned the real reason.  FreeBSD 4.10 is using gcc 2.95
because later versions of g++ produce incompatible object code, so we
cannot update without forcing every 4.x user to recompile every piece
of C++ code on their system.  That's not acceptable in a -stable
branch.

Compiling the base system with a version of GCC other than that which
is shipped with the base system (i.e. GCC 2.95 for 4.x) is not
supported, and if you manage to get it working you're on your own
support-wise (i.e. do not submit bug reports against your custom
system, because they're probably your own bugs and you'll waste
developer time trying to follow them up).  If you think you really
need a version of FreeBSD compiled with GCC 3.x, consider updating to
FreeBSD 5.3.

Kris