Problems with digital camera

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 1 10:11:18 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 12:53 -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> I have that same model.  I never bothered to try hooking it directly
> to the USB port.  The camera uses CompactFlash cards, so I picked up a
> SanDisk USB reader (Sandisk PN: SDDR-31) and hooked it to the USB
> port.  All I needed in the kernel config was the umass device, which
> it sounds like you already have.
>
> Then I just mount the inserted card as a dos partition (usually
> /dev/da0s1) and I can move pics to my filesystem (mv, not cp).  This cleans
> out the card and preserves the timestamp on the file, so I don't have
> to otherwise mar my pic with an auto date label to know when I took
> it.
>
> Another advantage, is you can buy a couple cards, and the camera isn't
> tied down for the upload.
>
> What may (or may not) be related, is that I have to have the reader
> mounted prior to boot, or the /dev/da0 device doesn't show in the /dev
> partition.  When the card in inserted, it's detected and the
> /dev/da0s1 device appears.  There may be a way to get the USB device
> to rescan, but I'm not that fluent with USB.
>
> I had the same setup on FreeBSD versions, 4.8, 4.9, 4.10, and now 5.3
> RELEASE.  Works like a charm.  And yes, I bought mine way back when it
> cost a good months rent :|
>
> Good luck.
> Lou

Months rent...same here ;-)

I have a SanDisk reader as well.  Are you saying you plug the card in
the SanDisk reader and *then* boot?  It won't work "on-the-fly"?

--
Cheers,
Trey

There is an innocence in admiration;
it is found in those to whom it has not yet occurred
that they, too, might be admired some day.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1:11PM up 4 days, 15:48, 0 users, load averages: 0.04, 0.06, 0.06
FreeBSD salamander.thesizemores.net 5.3-RELEASE i386