Problems with digital camera

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Sat Jan 1 09:53:07 PST 2005

On 01/01/05 12:22 PM, Trey Sizemore sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hoping that someone can see what I may be overlooking. I've got a Nikon
> CoolPix 885 that I'm attempting to connect to my FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE
> machine via it's USB connector to a D-Link 7-port USB hub. The hub
> itself is connected via one of two USB ports on the tower. I have the
> following in /boot/loader.conf:
>

>         ________________________________________________________________
>         salamander# cat /boot/loader.conf
>         snd_emu10k1_load="YES"
>         usb_load="YES" # USB support
>         ums_load="YES" # USB mouse
>         umass_load="YES" # USB Zip 100 drive Or Camera
>         ________________________________________________________________
>

> and the following in my /etc/rc.conf:
>

>         ________________________________________________________________
>         salamander# cat /etc/rc.conf
>         # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
>         # Created: Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
>         # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
>         # Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>         # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>         hostname="salamander.thesizemores.net"
>         ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
>         linux_enable="YES"
>         moused_enable="YES"
>         usbd_enable="YES"
>         sendmail_enable="YES"
>         sendmail_flags="-bd"
>         sendmail_pidfile="/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid"
>         sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
>         sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
>         sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
>         devfs_system_ruleset="local_ruleset"
>         ________________________________________________________________
>

> and this in a /etc/devfs.rules file that I created per another post I
> saw on the forum:
>

>         ________________________________________________________________
>         [local_ruleset=10]
>         add path 'ugen*' mode 664
>         ________________________________________________________________
>

> The following lines appear in my /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file (this is
> out-of-the-box, I have not recompiled the kernel since initial install):
>

>         ________________________________________________________________
>         # USB support
>         device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
>         device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
>         device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
>         #device		udbp		# USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
>         device		ugen		# Generic
>         device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
>         device		ukbd		# Keyboard
>         device		ulpt		# Printer
>         device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
>         device		ums		# Mouse
>         device		urio		# Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
>         device		uscanner	# Scanners
>
>         # SCSI peripherals
>         device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
>         device          ch              # SCSI media changers
>         device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
>         device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
> [...]

I have that same model.  I never bothered to try hooking it directly
to the USB port.  The camera uses CompactFlash cards, so I picked up a
SanDisk USB reader (Sandisk PN: SDDR-31) and hooked it to the USB
port.  All I needed in the kernel config was the umass device, which
it sounds like you already have.

Then I just mount the inserted card as a dos partition (usually
/dev/da0s1) and I can move pics to my filesystem (mv, not cp).  This cleans
out the card and preserves the timestamp on the file, so I don't have
to otherwise mar my pic with an auto date label to know when I took
it.

Another advantage, is you can buy a couple cards, and the camera isn't
tied down for the upload.

What may (or may not) be related, is that I have to have the reader
mounted prior to boot, or the /dev/da0 device doesn't show in the /dev
partition.  When the card in inserted, it's detected and the
/dev/da0s1 device appears.  There may be a way to get the USB device
to rescan, but I'm not that fluent with USB.

I had the same setup on FreeBSD versions, 4.8, 4.9, 4.10, and now 5.3
RELEASE.  Works like a charm.  And yes, I bought mine way back when it
cost a good months rent :|

Good luck.
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Serocki's Stricture:
  Marriage is always a bachelor's last option.