What am I doing wrong with MOUNT?

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Mon Feb 28 17:32:01 GMT 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:15:23AM -0800, Gerald Lightsey wrote:
> Posted last night to newbies -(my mistake)
>
> I'm brand new to FreeBSD and Unix world in general.  My son has an internet
> site supported by FreeBSD that uses MySQL.  I have set up a FreeBSD  version
> 5.3 system on my home network using an 80gb drive sliced and partitioned to
> the FreeBSD 5.3 defaults.  I installed MySQL version 3.23 from the ports
> because that is the version on my son's server.  I wanted to install a copy
> of his database that I had MySQL dump on his FreeBSD server and FTP'd it to
> my Windows PC and placed on a CD.  After directing the .SQL dump back to a
> like named database on my newly installed box I originally received a
> message that I was out of disk space.
>
> I find that MySql is working in /var/db/mysql and that the default
> installation slice/partition of FreeBSD must be too small to handle the
> databases I want to play with.  So I read up on the file system and thought
> I understood that one can graft another drive onto a mount point on the
> system to add space at the mount point.  I purchased a 120gb drive for under
> $50 after rebates and partitioned it into one FreeBSD partition, (not
> dangerously dedicated).  I expected, from what I read, that if I mounted it
> at the /var mount point everything in the original /var directory would
> become unreachable/invisible.  I tried it and I got the results I expected.
> The reason I thought I would replace the ENTIRE /var directory was because
> if /var is too small for MySQL it would probably quickly be exposed to be
> too small for something else unexpected.
>
> I mounted the new drive 1 to a temporary mount point and used the cp command
> to copy each directory in /var to the drive.  I looked in all the new/old
> directories at the temporary mount point using ls -F and everything appeared
> to be there at the file level.  I used the umount command to unmount the new
> drive/partition from the temporary mount point and remounted it at /var.  I
> opened MySQL and created the named database I wanted and again started to
> collect the data from the CD by directing the .SQL file data to my database.
> Again, just like it did originally, after several minutes of creating tables
> the system reported that it had run out of space.
>
> My surprise is that every indication I get after I regain control of the
> system is that the database tables are being built within the ORIGINAL /var
> directory structure rather than the 120gb drive mounted on the /var
> mountpoint.  If I use the df command while drive 1 is mounted it shows that
> /var on disk 0 is full and /var on disk 1 just has whatever I copied onto
> the drive when it was mounted to a temporary mount point.  Also by
> experimentation/confirmation  I find that simply creating a couple of new
> databases within MySQL while drive 1 is mounted on /var shows that the
> databases have been created on the original /var on disk 0 as directories
> after disk 1 is unmounted.

> [...]

Just a thought - each time you mounted the new disk at /var, the system
was already running in multi-user mode.  That means that all network
daemons etc have been started and are running /before/ you mount the
disk.  MySQL will continue to use the /original/ /var because it has open
filehandles on that fs.

Try stopping MySQL before mounting the new disk.  Start MySQL again, and
it should start up on the new fs.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \