complete rookie sendmail question

Ken Hawkins rosewoodblues at mac.com
Mon Feb 28 15:10:28 GMT 2005

On Feb 27, 2005, at 6:25 PM, Warren Block wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Ken Hawkins wrote:
>
>> alright I found an old blurb about handling a scenario similar to
>> mine:
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-July/
>> 014468.html
>>
>> it essentially says:
>>

>> If you want to get FreeBSD to forward your email to the MS-Exchange
>> server, you have to:
>>
>>    1. make sure sendmail is running. (ie remove sendmail_* lines from
>>       /etc/rc.conf)
>
> Put sendmail_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.
>
>>    2. # cd /etc/mail
>>    3. # cp freebsd.mc `hostname`.mc
>
> That's doing things the hard way and might miss things the Makefile
> will do for you.  Just:
>
> # cd /etc/mail
> # make
>
>>    4. edit `hostname`.mc and uncomment the following line:
>>
>>            define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')
>>
>>    5. replace `your.isp.mail.server' with your Exchange server.
>
> Or any mail server you are allowed to smarthost through.
>
>>    6. # make
>>    7. # make install
>>    8. # sh /etc/rc.sendmail restart
>
> Should be:
>
> 6. make all install restart
>
> which combines steps 7 and 8.  6 was already done above.
>
>> can anyone point me toward what I require to create a domain file for
>> our <box name> in the /usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain/ area?
>
> Let /etc/mail/Makefile help you by using make as shown above.

did those steps:

1 cd /etc/mail

edited freebsd.mc and changed:

2 make

this generated:

cp freebsd.mc web1.prosoundweb.com.mc
/usr/bin/m4 -D_CF_DIR_=/usr/share/sendmail/cf/
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 web1.prosoundweb.com.mc >
web1.prosoundweb.com.cf
m4: web1.prosoundweb.com.mc at line 49:
include(/usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain/prosoundweb.com.m4): No such file
or directory
*** Error code 1

this is still looking for a prosoundweb.com.m4 file in the domain area.
is there a step I am missing somewhere?

I copied generic.m4 to prosoundweb.com.m4 and went through 'make all
install restart'
and I am still timing out talking to the host:

Operation timed out with bhost1.broadjam.net.

so obviously I am not done here....

ken;