Installation instructions for Firefox somewhere?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Feb 26 20:25:31 GMT 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Chris writes:
>

>>If you don't have the ports tree (/usr/ports) on the box, put it there.
>>

>I don't have 300 MB to spare, particularly for something that I will use
>so rarely.
>
>What's wrong with getting the index from the FTP site when I run
>sysinstall?  Seems to me that it would guarantee that the ports are
>always up to date.

Well, I've been under the impression for a while that sysinstall
is not necessarily reliable in terms of getting the most current
information; not because of its design, necessarily, but because
of some details about layout, building world, etc.  Keep in mind
that this is "my take" on the question, and I'm basically nobody
(and will mention that fact again.)

A crunched binary version of sysinstall exists in /stand.  A couple
(or 3?? - I knew this once) of years ago sysinstall was moved to
/usr/sbin in -CURRENT and now lives there in the 5.X branch.   On
a 5.X machine, then, you have two "sysinstalls" that may or may not
be the same date, (and most likely aren't) and certainly may vary
in some way:

[668] Sat 26.Feb.2005 14:14:01
[kadmin at local][~]
ll /usr/sbin/sysinstall && ll /stand/sysinstall
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  411336 Feb 12 10:34 /usr/sbin/sysinstall*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2148964 Apr 23  2004 /stand/sysinstall*

Now consider the following note Murray Stokely writes in
/doc/en/articles/releng/ (he's discussing preparatory steps
for building a RELEASE):

"Sysinstall should be updated to note the number of available
ports and the amount of disk space required for the Ports Collection.
This information is currently kept in src/release/sysinstall/dist.c."

So, it's my best guess (as I said, IANAE) that /usr/sbin/sysinstall
will not know about anything later than the date obtained by
"uname -a" (last system rebuild, whatever), and /stand/sysinstall
may have hoplessly out of date information (unless you are in
the habit of crunching new binaries for /stand every time you
upgrade the system; most people probably don't<?>).

Now, I'm not saying I'm right, because I don't even know
the exact procedure you're describing in using sysinstall
for "getting the index", but most of my experiences using
it to try and do anything in terms of packages/ports seem
to indicate that it has basically one idea of where to look,
and that idea isn't the newest ports tree.  I could be wrong.

Kevin Kinsey