Lexmark X1100 printer

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 25 20:03:13 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:53:01PM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> The problem is that the cheap color inkjets on the market are all
> winprinters these days.  So you have to go there if you want to print
> color.

Over the years I've had a couple of inkjet printers, starting with a
Deskjet 500. All of them had trouble with ink cartridges drying out
after a couple of weeks non-use. And with that ink being rediculously
expensive, I decided not to bother with inktjets anymore. I had a
Laserjet 5L for about 6 years, I think. It was still on the original toner
cassette when I gave it to a friend.

Another department of a company I used to work for designed and
manufactured parts for (consumer) inkjet printers for HP and
others. According to the people who worked there, those printers were
definitely not engineered to last.

As for winprinters, I decided not to buy any printer if it doesn't understand
postscript. Life's too short to go hunting after obscure drivers.

And color laserprinters are coming down in price. I recently bought a
Color Laserjet 2550L for € 439,-. Installing it amounted to feeding the
ppd file to CUPS. And it works every time. The colour output might not
be up to six-colour inkjet with special photo paper, but It Works For
Me.  If it lasts as long and trouble-free as my old 6L, I consider it
money well-spent.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail