Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 25 19:49:16 GMT 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> That might be true but what is also true is that when such managers
> win, they win very very big.

Big risk, big potential return.  But not everyone wants to gamble.

> So big that in the sum total of things, their wins bring in far more
> money to the company than anything that the conservative managers do.

Sorry, but I really don't see how replacing Windows with an open-source
solution or anything of that nature would bring in far more money to any
company.

> Open Source/FreeBSD isn't playing it safe, but it isn't a reckless risk
> either.

Technically it's not much of a risk, but politically and in business
terms it can be a considerable risk.

--
Anthony