Transfering from SCSI to IDE ?

J65nko BSD j65nko at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 20:50:42 GMT 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:12:29 +0000 (GMT), ali boreiri
<dr_boreiri at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear Sir :
>
> I have a FreeBSD system with a squid cache installed on it on my 17 GB SCSI drive.
> Recently I get an image of it by Norton GHOST  on a 80GB IDE drive.
> Transferring was successful but when system on new IDE disk booted , after pimary freeBSD boot menu  boot proccess continued till an error occured in mounting file system and disk; and then system ask me to mount root and a mount> prompt appeared.
> Messages appears on screen are as below:
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> setrootbyname failed
> ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Rootmount failed:6
> mount root>
> mount root> ?
> List of GEOMD Managed disk devices:
> ad1s1f  ad1s1e  ad1s1d  ad1s1c  ad1s1b  ad1s1a  ad1s1  acd0 ad1 fd0
>
> Now please tell me what must I do ;and refer me to a compelete step by step guide in mounting partition of this  IDE disk (which the image of a SCSI disk is on it.)and no change perform to partitions  for properly working of squid cache.
>
> Thank you : Dr.A.Boreiri

Maybe you should forget about the Ghost shortcut, and not ignore 30
years of Unix backup history ;)

Use "dump" to make a backup of your SCSI disk. Do a minimal FBSD
install on your IDE disk, using a similar partition and disklabel
scheme as the FBSD install on the SCSI disk.

Now use "restore" to transfer the backups to the IDE disk.

Please note that "dump" and "restore" work on complete filesystems.

=Adriaan=