Booting problems

Teilhard Knight teilhk at crosswinds.net
Thu Feb 24 02:02:04 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee>
To: "Teilhard Knight" <teilhk at crosswinds.net>
Cc: "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: Booting problems

> Teilhard Knight wrote:
>
>> I am not an expert on FreeBSD and I am not an expert on hardware.
>
> Neither am I, but...
>
>> The error I get is: "panic no BSP found". Anyone has
>> an idea of what that means? I'll give you my configuration file just in
>> case someone takes the trouble to have a look at it. My machine is the HP
>> t730m,
>> 3GHz HT, 512 Meg of RAM.
>
> (sznipp)
>
>> # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
>>
>> options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
>>
>> options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
>
> BSP sounds suspiciously like something that has something to do with SMP
> (we're getting really technical here, eh?). I would try removing those two
> options from your kernel config and/or disabling Hyperthreading in BIOS,
> if that's an option.

Thank you Toomas for taking the time. I commented out the two lines you
suggested and unfortunately not even in that way I have a working kernel.
When the system tries to boot it just shows the lame symbol "|" and then
after a few seconds it reboots. I'll go through the configuration file again
and try to see if something was related to a symmetric multiprocessor.  I
wouldn't like to disable hyperthreading in the bIOS because what would be
the point of having an HT processor? Any more ideas from your part would be
highly welcome.

Teilhard