get local sendmail to use MX records

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Wed Feb 23 19:10:14 GMT 2005

Gerard Meijer wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I'm absolutely sure that this is not the case anymore. I removed
> everything.
>> If I followed you correctly, "server B" *formerly* was the appropriate
>> end point for mail for "domain.com". If that is true, then on server
>> B, the sendmail config probably indicates that mail destined for
>> domain.com is delivered locally. Remove that indicator and it should
>> revert to MX lookup behavior to find the appropriate handler for the
>> domain. There may be multiple places in the sendmail config where
>> domain.com is named for different purposes. Hunt them all down and
>> kill them.

Nevertheless... the grep suggested by another poster seems
completely appropriate. There are few other explanations than
"sendmail config error". You restarted sendmail after the config
change, right?

Another test you could try would be to fire up nslookup on server
B's command line. If you ask there for the MX record in question, do
you actually get the right answer?

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348

A: Because it reverses the natural flow of a dialog.
Q: Why is top posting undesirable when replying?